Friday, October 14, 2005

90's Country: Looking back on 'Classic Country'



It kinda makes me laugh, but country music from the early 90’ is actually considered classic country nowadays. I always think back on that time period in the music I love because it was the time when I really started tuning in to country. You had Garth, Clint, Alan, B&D, and a million other acts that made a name for themselves at the time. You also had some guys who we haven’t heard from in a while. So I decided to take a walk down memory lane, and talk about some of the guys who’ve fell by the wayside. I want these guys back on the radio. So, I will take it one step further and suggest a current country star for them to replace on country radio..

Mark Chesnutt: One of the most original sounding country singers of all time, especially the 90’s. “Almost Goodbye”, “Bubba Shot the Jukebox”, “Old Country”, “Old Flames have New Names”, “It Sure is Monday”, and the list of hits goes on. He recently resurfaced with a great album called “Savin’ the Honky Tonks” full of good timin’ country songs, and original ballads. But you probably haven’t heard it, because Mark Chesnutt doesn’t look like Tim McGraw or Kenny Chesney (Even though he has more hair than both of them combined), and he doesn’t compromise himself to make commercial music. If you miss good country buy this record. This guy wrote the kind of music that made you wish you were from Texas. I am not sure why Josh Gracin is a star, but I wish he would burn out and give his air time to a real country singer- Mark Chesnutt.

Doug Stone: He recently made headlines for telling a judge where to go when he was asked to show his financial records. Doug Stone had hits like “Warning Labels”, “I’d be Better off in a Pinebox”, “Make up in Love” and “Addicted to a Dollar”. Talk about great country singers. This guys was amazing, and I really miss him. Billy Currington, Doug Stone is a reminder of the days when sissy boys didn’t sing country. Bow to you 3 fans, and kiss your ass goodbye. When Doug gets out of jail, he wants his airtime back.

Sammy Kershaw: I would go as far as to say this guy had the greatest voice in country music in the 90’s. “Cadillac Style”, “Yard Sale”, “She Don’t Know She’s Beautiful, and “Don’t go near the Water” are just a taste of the hits this old boy put out in the 90’s. Gary Levox, of Rascal Crapps has been heralded for his voice. Personally, I think like he sounds like his mouth was sewn shut, and he was forced to sing through his nose, into a kazoo. THIS is what real country music sounds like. Nice knowing you Rascals, now go home. You’ll never be Kershaw.

Joe Diffie: Consistently awesome, and consistently shunned. Maybe it was the mullet. I don’t know. But this guy’s catalog included songs like “Pickup Man”, “Third Rock from the Sun”, “John Deere Green”, “Bigger than the Beatles” and my favorite, “Ships that Don’t Come In”. Joe has had some recent blips on the charts like “Tougher than Nails”, but I doubt he will ever get back to the point he was at in the early 90’s. Unless… She Daisy goes buh-bye. Honestly, have you heard their latest stuff? What the hell? Joe, we are going to get you back on the top brother.

Mark Collie: To this day, “Even the Man in the Moon is Cryin’” os one of my favorite songs of all time. Why this guy is not a superstar is beyond my grasp. In 2001, my wife and went to a concert in the cities featuring Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney. They wer ethe only names on the ticket. But the lights went down, and the spotlight focused in on a 4 piece band, all gathered around 1-2 mics, dressed in black. They played 3 songs before the singer introduced them as “Mark Collie and the Tennessee Waste Management Group”. Some smart assed kid asked his friends “Who the hell is this loser?” I still wish I had punched that guy in the face. Toby Keith needs to start making good records again, or shut his mouth, step off stage, and allow a REAL outlaw to take his place.

Kathy Mattea: Kathy Mattea comes from the days when a woman’s voice meant more that the amount of her midriff she showed. I loved her writing and her smooth vocal style. This girl made some great music like “18 Wheels and a Dozen Roses”, and “She came from Fort Worth”. Shania, go away. Kathy Mattea could teach you a lesson or two about letting the music do the talkin.

Blackhawk: These guys defined country cool. Great music, great personality, and a spirit we could all relate to. “Goodbye Says it All”, “I sure can Smell the Rain”, and “ Lonestar, this is what a country band is supposed to be about- INTEGRITY. Unlike you, they don’t try to reinvent themselves every time a new trend comes along. You have had your chance. Now get your ass off my radio, and make room for a band that deserves to be back on the charts.

Honorable Mention: Lionel Cartwright had a great song with “I watched it all on my Radio.” I saw James House doing a show with Kenny Chesney in the early 90’s, I would have bet you all 16 dollars in my wallet that House would be the star, and Chesney would be a soon-be has been. Sometimes I am way off. George Ducas’ “Lipstick Promises” was one of the coolest songs I had ever heard. And then I never saw him again. Clinton Gregory looked like the biggest dork in the world. But he had an amazing song called “If it Weren’t for Country Music, I’d Go Crazy”. I found the record a few months ago for 3 bucks on a bargain rack. I bought the album, and the whole thing is good. He was a bad ass, and I wish I had heard more out of him.
There are at least 20 other names that I have thought of since I began writing this. But for the sake of conversation, I am going to shutup, and ask you- Who do you miss from the 90’s? What did you like about them? Who could you do without in order to make room for them on your favorite station’s playlist?

1 Comments:

Blogger Damon Parrish said...

Nice rant there Pat. I'd have to agree on Mark Chesnutt, Sammy Kersahw and Joe DIffie. Not that the others didn't have songs that I loved because honestly "Better Off In A Pine Box" is one of my all-time fave's. Here's my list:

Wade Hayes: Here's a guy that I would have bet the farm on......and lost!!! I mean the guy had the most original barritone of the 90's, was a great writer and an even better guitar picker. Yes, there was the nose thing he had goin' on, but we can't all be John Stamos! :) His hits include "Old Enough To Know Better", "On A Good Night", "I'm Still Dancin' With You" and "Don't Stop". Wade tried to make a comeback a few years ago as a duo with some shitbag I'd never heard of and they did a pretty lame rendition of the Don Williams calssic "Tulsa Time". My vote for replacement would have to be Chris Cagle. I just don't like dudes with 'Little Man' syndrome.

Rhett Akins: ANother fantastic writer who had some great tunes. His hits include "That Ain't My Truck", "I Brake For Brunettes", "WHat They're Talkin' ABout", "More Than Everything" and my personal favorite "Katy Brought My Guitar Back Today". I had heard rumors that his piss-poor attitude is what cost him his deals with major labels. Personally I'll take his stuff over anything that Sugarland puts out.

Little Texas: My hands down favorite country band since Alabama was in their heyday. With hits such as "First Time For Everything", "God Blessed Texas", "SOme Guys Have All The Love", "You And Forever And Me", "WHat Might Have Been", and "My Love" it's easy to see why I was always first in line to get anything they released. It's a shame they felt the need to change with the trends of the late 90's instead of making great music everyone could connect with, instead of feeling the need to make their country sound 'poppier' how about 'poopier'?? Let's have Little Texas replace the wanna be's Little Big Town. I wish they'd go back to the 'Boondocks' and give Little Texas their spot back on my radio dial.

and finally Brooks & Dunn: Yes, I am aware they are HUGE, but they are just not the same. In the 90's they made great songs with killer hooks and good stories, now it's all about a catch phrase or a rock driven' guitar riff and quite fraznkly it's pissing me off. Let's get rid of the pretenders and bring back the real Brooks & Dunn.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home